Pitlai Podi is a very close sister to the Sambar Powder.
Pitlai Podi is a very essential powder, a spice condiment in every South Indian Kitchen. Pitlai Podi is a powder which can be used in various ways. A Taste Maker. First, I will tell you how this multi faceted powder is used in varied dishes before going to the recipe. The shelf life of this Pitlai Podi, when kept in the normal fridge compartment is 3 months. A really time saving powder. Make it and store it. Use whenever you want. Enjoy making delicious dishes with this powder.
Uses of Pitlai Podi
1) When you make sambar using the regular sambar powder, give a little Twist. Use half portion of the regular sambar powder and use half portion of this Pitlai Podi. Add the Pitlai Podi in the end mixed with little water. Boil the sambar after adding this Pitlai Podi for 3 minutes on sim flame. You will get a very tasty Araichuvitta Sambar. Garnish with finely chopped curry leaves and green coriander leaves.
2) Cominations of veggies for the sambar is 1) Drumstick and small onion sambar. 2) Just small onion sambar. 3) Yellow Pumpkin and Broadbeans ( avaraikai ) sambar. 4) Kadhamba Sambar. 5) White Pumpkin and Peanut sambar. 6) Green capsicum and Tomato sambar. 7) Ladies finger sambar. 8) Cauliflower, Carrot, beans, tomato sambar. 9) Brussel sprouts sambar. 10) Cabbage sambar. 11) Bitter gourd sambar. 12)Mixed pulses and Vegetable sambar. 13) Venthiya keerai ( Fenugreek leaf ) and Drumstick sambar.
3) Next, we Can add this Pitlai Podi as a topping for many veggie poriyal ( curries ) preparations. 1) A little sprinkle of this powder on Potato Fry really enhances the taste. 2) Add little Pitlai Podi in the end while making Raw Banana Fry. 3) Can use as a topping for Sundal ( pulses stir fry ). 4) Just add a teaspoon of this powder to Beans Poriyal, Ladies finger Poriyal. 5) Use it to enhance the taste of BrinjalPoriyal.
4)Make Vatral Kuzhambu. Add a sprinkle of this Podi in the end. Yumm.
5) Make Vegetable Rice. Add this Pitlai Podi in the end. Mix gently. Serve with a Raitha and Chips. Superb.
6) Make Brinjal Gothsu, Vegetable Gothsu. Add this Podi in the end. Excellent. Serve with hot Ven Pongal, Idli and Dosas.
7) Prepare Tomato Rasam. Add a dash of this powder in the end.
8) Can add a little of this Pitlai Podi to Tomato Sevai and Vegetable Sevai.
9) Can add 1 tablespoon of this Podi while preparing Raw Banana Tamarind ( Puli ) Kootu in the end.
10) Add a Tablespoon of this Podi after making Field Beans(FreshMochai,Avaregalu ) White Rava Upma.
12) Add a tablespoon of this Podi to Sambar Rice in the end. Serve with any vegetable Poriyal and fried appalam ( pappad ) and a curd pachadi ( Raitha ). Amazing.
So these are some of the Uses of this Pitlai Podi . You can use it in many more dishes. Now let us see the recipe of this Pitlai Podi. Very, very simple. Do try this recipe. Make it, Store it and enjoy IT.
Coriander seeds – 4 cups
Channa Dhal ( Bengal gram dhal ) – 1 cup
Urad dhal – 2 tablespoons
Dry red chillies – 1 cup ( I have used 1/2cup of Kashmiri chillies and 1/2 cup of Guntur chillies )
Washed and dried curry leaves – 1 handful
Asafoetida powder- 1 tablespoon
Gingelly oil- 1 tablespoon( sesame oil )
Heat a heavy bottomed, big pan. Add oil. Keep on sim flame. First fry the red chillies till crisp. Remove it from the pan. Transfer to a plate. Next fry the curry leaves on sim flame till crisp. Transfer it to the plate. Next, add the coriander seeds, channa dhal, urad dhal and fry on sim flame to a golden colour. Switch off the stove. Transfer the contents to the plate. Add the asafoetida powder over the fried ingredients in the plate. Mix . Cool well. Transfer the contents to a big mixie jar. Powder little coarsely. Store in an airtight container. Use whenever you want.
1) While frying the ingredients, fry on sim flame.
2) Do not over fry the red chillies.
3) Powdering the Pitlai Podi little coarsely adds to the taste.