Cauliflower, Broccoli Almond
Another family favourite recipe. Adding coarsely ground almonds gives a unique flavour. I have used a mix of Cheddar and Mozarella Cheese for the topping. Green chillies and Coarsely ground black pepper powder further heightens the taste. A very tasty and a simple baked dish. Goes well with naan, roti and a plain bread toast.
Steamed Cauliflower florets – 1 and 1/2 cups
Steamed Broccoli florets – 1 and 1/2 cups
( Keep both the cauliflower and the broccoli florets small )
Finely chopped onion – 1 cup
Garlic powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Finely chopped green chillies – 2
Little Coarsely ground almond powder – 2 tablespoons
Unsalted butter – 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon
Maida – 2 tablespoons
Coarsely crushed pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Nutmeg powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Boiled, cooled milk – 1 and 1/4 cups
Grated Cheddar Cheese – 1 handful
Grated Mozarella Cheese – 1 handful
Beetroot Rice with a scoop of Cauliflower , Broccoli Almond
Heat a non stick pan. Add the butter ( 3 tablespoons ). Sauté the chopped onions on sim flame for 5 minutes. Add the chopped green chillies, garlic powder. Sauté on sim flame for 3 minutes. Add the maida and salt to taste, pepper powder and the nutmeg powder. Sauté for 1 minute. Add the milk and stir well till well mixed and see that lumps do not form. Once the sauce thickens, add almond powder, the steamed cauliflower florets and the broccoli florets. Mix gently. Switch off the stove.
Now grease a bake proof dish with 1 teaspoon of butter. Put in the cauliflower and broccoli mixture. Top with the grated cheese. Bake in a pre – heated oven at 180 degrees Centigrade till the top turns golden. Serve hot.
1) Do not over cook the cauliflower and the broccoli florets
2) You can also grill it in the Microwave in the grill mode till the crust turns golden.
3) If using the microwave, use a bake safe, microwave friendly glass dish.
4) Do not worry, if you do not have garlic powder, instead chop 5 flakes of garlic finely and sauté it along with the onions.
5) To make the Almond Powder, soak about 10 to 15 almonds in hot water for about 1 hour. Keep it covered. Peel and dry the almonds on a towel under the fan till well dried. Then Powder little Coarsely in a blender and use it. ( the consistency of the almond powder has to be like rava ).